- We board temporarily those alpacas we have sold or females that are here to breed to one of our Herdsires. In general, our contract for our stud services and purchased alpacas includes free board for 60 days (depending on the contract terms).
- For those alpacas requiring a longer stay than is specified in their contract, our boarding charges are $3/day per animal with discounts for additional animals.
- Boarding includes routine herd health, delivery of dewormers and vaccinations, fecal analysis, blood draws and simple analysis and ultrasounds.
- Billed veterinary services and shearing services are paid at the time of animal pickup.
- Shearing services are available for an additional charge.
- We offer birthing services at a charge of $150 for the day of birth. This birthing service includes an IgG, microchip, DNA blood card, recommended medications, colostrum (if needed) and immunizations for the dam. No extra charges for activities that can be performed by our staff. Additional charges if veterinary care is required.
We have retired group of 30 or so alpacas on our farm available for hands on workshops...everything from shearing to alpaca handling to physical assessment to alpaca behaviour and dynamics. Individualized to meet your needs. Conversely, we have housing if you want to bring your own alpacas for assessment and/or assistance in their care. We work closely with our trusted veterinarians, Link Associates, Union Bridge, MD
We offer various financing plans on our alpaca seed stock sales. Alpaca sales financed over several years with competitive rates and at (or around) prime interest individualized per contract. Buyer has full use of the alpaca at the signing of the contract. Let us know what will work for you. Sorry, we do not finance for Stud Service or Fiber Animals.
Complete Start Up Package
Includes supplies plus onsite consultation! We can help you with learning the alpaca business and many of the herd health management issues, as well as basic farm setup. We offer a wealth of knowledge and referral sources to get your operation up and running. Capitalize on our experience and, equally important, our mishaps in setting up barns and pastures. Learn what we like and what we’d change.
For those hoping to get into raising alpacas, be it for hobby or business, our Start-Up Package is designed to let you purchase all of your startup materials in one place and for one inclusive price.
The consultation will include evaluation setup of your farm, including written recommendations for fencing and shelter, and the supplies listed below.
- Medications and Supplies: All of the essential ones to get you started and written recommendations.
- Clean up equipment: Having evaluated many products over the years, you’ll receive our favorites, plus a few modifications we’ve made along the way.
- Feed, Minerals, and Hay: Top quality with complete analysis, plus recommendations for continued management on your farm.
- General Supplies: Things you would never think of, but that we’ve found indispensable.
Looking to get into the alpaca business, but concerned about shearing the alpacas? Or maybe you’re wondering how to sell your fiber once following harvest? Our Shearing Service is a way for you to take care of both concerns. With the purchase of a fiber male or female, you have the option of using this service for one year. Best of all it’s free! We will shear your fiber animal, give him or her the recommended vaccinations, trim toes, and do dental for the year following the purchase of your fiber alpaca. We will also buy your fleece according to its grade and weight.
- Grade 1 - $10 per pound
- Grade 2 - $8 per pound
- Grade 3 - $5 per pound
- Grade 4 - $1 per pound
- Grade 5 - $0.50 per pound
You’ll be paid in cash the very day we shear. This offer is valid for the shearing season following your purchase of one of our fiber animals. For your part of the contract, you agree to provide a good home and good care to the animals, including shelter, clean pastures and paddocks, fresh water and good quality hay. That’s all we ask!
Alpaca Herd Management
Reading through the massive amount of literature available today on how to take care of your alpaca herd can be a daunting task, especially if you’ve never raised livestock or been in the medical profession. Over the years, I’ve been suspicious that many “illnesses” we see in our alpaca herds are a product of our herd management.
This service offers travel to your farm, a one-day evaluation of your herd practices and care, and a written evaluation with recommendations.
Cost depends on location and travel expense. Call 717.491.0036 or email [email protected] for details.
This consultant service came about out of two of my observations from within the alpaca farming community. First, most alpaca owners have never owned their own business. Second, most alpaca owners have never farmed or raised livestock. Most take on a farming livelihood as a second career or as a stepping stone to retirement.
In light of the above observations, I realized the need to help potential and even current clients write and enact a business plan and most importantly, put it into a format that is measurable and evaluated objectively. A strategic schema is not a once and done task. Rather it is an ongoing roadmap that will hopefully guide you to a successful business venture or perhaps it will reveal to you the necessity of approaching alpaca farming as a hobby rather than a business.
This service is available for current and new clients (starting at $500).